Basic Tips for Writing a Case Study Analysis
As stated by highly qualified case study writers from Get Case Study, based on the definition of a case (a description of a situation or a case that is used to train, evaluate, and find the most effective solution), its analysis is the process of isolating a number of private tasks within the framework of the described situation and finding ways to solve them.
Cases Study Analysis: Types and Approaches
There are several types of analysis. The main ones are:
Problem analysis, which is an analytical work on the classification of problems and is carried out in the following areas:
- formulation of the problem;
- determination of its spatial and temporal boundaries;
- basic system characteristics;
- patterns of development and consequences;
- resolution paths;
- determination of the resources required for the resolution;
- development of organizational and managerial resolution technologies.
A causal analysis reveals the initiating events that caused the occurrence of the problem.
In the course of pragmatic (praxeological) analysis, an object, process or phenomenon is considered from the point of view of more effective use in practice.
Axiological analysis considers a particular object, process or phenomenon in the system of existing values.
In addition, during the analysis of the case, situational, prognostic, recommendatory, program-targeted analyses can be carried out.
The case-study method as a way of learning is a complex process consisting of several stages, none of which should be neglected:
- familiarization with the text of the case;
- analysis of the case;
- case discussions, discussions, presentations;
- evaluation of participants in the discussion;
- summarizing the discussion.
Stages of Case Solving
The main part of this process is the analysis (solution) of the case, which is carried out in five stages:
- Acquaintance with the situation and its features.
- Selection of the main problem or several main problems, the allocation of factors and personalities that can actually influence problem-solving.
- Offering concepts or topics for brainstorming.
- Analysis of the consequences of a decision.
- The solution of the case, when one or several options are proposed, identify the problems that may arise as a result of the proposed actions and the mechanisms for their prevention.
An important point is a discussion that takes place. Questions for it are usually prepared in advance and distributed to the participants along with the text of the case. The discussion can be of several types. The most commonly used is called the Harvard Method and is an open discussion. The second method involves an individual or group survey, during which an assessment of the situation is given and an analysis of the case presented, decisions and recommendations are offered.
A special place in organizing the discussion when discussing and analyzing the case belongs to using the method of generating ideas, called the brainstorming, which in the 30s of the last century was proposed by the employee of the BBDO advertising agency Alex Osborn.
Presentation of case analysis results is the final stage of creative work. It can be held verbally and in writing, but in any case, should contain convincing evidence of the advantages of the chosen solution to the problem presented in the case. A more complex type of presentation is oral because, in its course, there are critical comments that must be answered immediately. This requires such personal qualities as self-discipline, conviction, purposefulness, as well as public communication skills.
Before submitting your case study analysis or presenting it in public, make to sure to check all the facts mentioned, all the names and numbers one more time. Don’t neglect proofreading and formatting, not to lose points. Good luck!